Welcome to ARC. We are excited you are starting your yoga journey with us! If you’re feeling a bit nervous or apprehensive, that’s completely normal. Trying something new, in a new space can be scary and uncomfortable at first.
Congratulations for taking the risk and stepping outside of your comfort zone – we promise that the side effects will be amazing!
Things you should know:
- If you can breath, you can do yoga. Yoga is for everyone.
- You do not need to be able to touch your toes or be “bendy”.
- Yoga is not all the same, each yoga style and teacher have unique qualities that will appeal to different people, just like some people prefer to walk, some prefer to run and some would rather stay right where they are. Try many classes and teachers to see what suits you best.
- You do not need to have any idea what you’re doing. You do not need to practice before you come to the studio.
- Come with an open mind, willingness to learn and acceptance that you are right where you need to be right now.
Where should you start:
This depends on your comfort level. If you’d like to ease your way in, try our Yoga Fundamentals and Power Flow Level 1. Both are specifically designed for the new yogi. These classes move a bit slower and focus on building your practice from the ground up with lots of support from the teacher.
If your personality is more “jump right in” feel free to browse through our class selection and pick anything that appeals to you and fits your schedule. All of our classes are open to all levels. If you’re still feeling a bit unsure, recovering from an injury, or have a special condition you’d like to address directly try a private yoga session. These sessions can be 1 on 1 or small groups and customized to meet your needs.
Our Trial Membership is an excellent way to try out what ARC has to offer! The membership includes unlimited yoga classes, climbing, and Intro to Climb course, rentals, and membership discounts for just $50+HST. This is the best way to fully experience our class offerings and teachers.
Prepare for your first class:
- Complete our online digital waiver before you arrive to save a few minutes at check in.
- Read our Studio Etiquette page.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early to register, pay and settle in.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day to ensure you are well hydrated.
- Let your teacher know you are new to yoga and if you have any injuries, you are pregnant or have any other special conditions.
What to wear and bring:
Wear comfortable stretchy clothing that allows you to move freely and will move with you through tall stretches and forward folds. Do a little test at home, reach your arms up over your head and fold forward. We have change rooms and a shower.
Bring a water bottle, we have a water bottle filling station.
Bring a yoga mat if you have one, we also have rental mats if you don’t (free with the intro month or $2).
Depending on your ability to sweat you may also want to bring a towel, especially for heated classes (rentals are $1)