New to Yoga + Fitness
Where do I start if I’m new to yoga or fitness classes?
Though all of our classes are open to all levels, we have developed a Yoga Fundamentals class to make sure new yogis have somewhere to dip their toes in and learn about our offerings. We also offer Hatha Yoga classes daily. This class is oriented towards slower movement and building poses from the ground up; focus is on form, alignment, breath and meditation, so it’s also an ideal starting point for your yoga journey at ARC.
We invite you to sign up for our introductory membership, where you’ll get an unlimited month of yoga (and climbing) for only $50+tax. This way you can try out any of our class offerings and see where you fit best! All of our classes are available to all levels, including beginners.
If you have any questions, any of our instructors or front desk staff have all the information you need on beginning any of our class offerings at ARC. Feel welcome to arrive fifteen minutes prior to the class to chat with the instructor and get set up for your first class.
What should I do to prepare for my first class?
Start by drinking lots of water to be well hydrated, and then please arrive at least 15 minutes early to complete the registration and payment so that you’re not rushed going into class. Completing the online digital waiver before you arrive will help to improve the efficiency of your first visit.
Let the instructor know that you’re new to yoga, and always be sure to let him or her know if you are working with injuries or special conditions.
What do I need to wear and bring?
Wear any comfortable stretchy clothing that allows you to move freely and will move with you through tall stretches and forward folds. You’ll need a water bottle and yoga mat, and for heated yoga classes, you may wish to have a full size towel for your mat and maybe also a small hand towel to wipe your brow. (We also rent mats at the front desk for $2 and towels for $1.)
We encourage you to leave jewelry, mobile devices and other personal belongings outside of the studio during your classes. We have shelves conveniently located near the studio door for just this purpose.
Supporting our students
At ARC, we find it really important to support our community members in as many ways as possible. Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Yoga fundamentals classes. ARC offers weekly yoga classes that are geared towards learning the form and alignment of the poses. This is great both for beginners who want to learn the ropes before diving into a regular class, and also for more experienced yogis who want to fine tune their practice.
- Demo yogis. We will often have experienced yogis in any class who are happy to practice at the front so that others can see the modifications for each pose (both to increase and decrease the intensity).
- Suggested modifications. Instructors will also directly suggest modifications to increase or decrease the intensity of the poses so that you can tailor the class to what you need.
- In-class adjustments. Many of our instructors will gently provide adjustments that encourage you to more fully explore your poses throughout a class. Appreciation of this practice is probably our most common feedback.
- Open communication. If you have an injury or an area of concern, please be sure to let the instructor know before the class so that they can better suggest modifications for your particular condition. And of course, get approval from your primary health care provider before attending.
- Suggested centering poses. Whether you’re in a yoga or fitness class, here are a few poses to take if you need a moment to recharge, whether physically or mentally. Take your time and enjoy the repose while you refocus your breath.
- Private instruction. ARC offers 1-on-1 or small group private instruction for those looking for more direct contact with the instructor, and more specific tinkering of your postures, as well as custom fitness programs for individuals and groups (including sports teams) and personal training sessions for both individuals or small groups. ARC’s fitness and yoga team possess extensive experience in a variety of sports, enabling them to work with a broad range of skill levels.
- Digital support. You can expect to get a monthly newsletter from your friends at ARC, containing information about upcoming events, new around the facility, and handy tips, tools or articles we come across that might be helpful to your practice. We also have a number of the ARC team on hand to answer individual questions via email. If you connect with us at email@example.com, we’ll make sure your message gets through to the most appropriate person and you receive a timely response.